Viewing 23 posts 1 2
Best resource tools for content research?
    • Best resource tools for content research?
  • Sep 03, 2013

Would love to know your tool or strategy for researching before you write.

Would love to know your tool or strategy for researching before you write.

Sep 03, 2013

I personally do want to know the best Keywords are at High. I will check google trends,google keyword tools, seo powersuite, market samurai etc.,

I personally do want to know the best Keywords are at High. I will check google trends,google keyword tools, seo powersuite, market samurai etc.,

Sep 03, 2013

If you are looking to create content based around current news, trends and what people are searching for, try http://www.google.com/trends/

If you are looking to create content based around current news, trends and what people are searching for, try http://www.google.com/trends/

Sep 03, 2013

I also use this tool to come up with content ideas: http://www.portent.com/tools/title-maker/

I also use this tool to come up with content ideas: http://www.portent.com/tools/title-maker/

Sep 04, 2013

Firstly @Neil I love that tool as well

It is awesome and my team love it as well.

For @Fran here is a brain dump of how my team generate ideas and get research for that content.

1. Have a company Idea board where people share ideas on what would be cool to have content pieces on
    2. Go to Google Analytics (Traffic Sources > Search > Organic) and Create an advanced segment called Create Blog + Add to FAQ (this segment looks at all search terms used on your website). This will give you a range of questions that people have come to the website from searching in google using a advanced regex filter in google analytics
    3. Find an influence in your market place and interview them about topics that your crowd is interested about
    4. Report on recent and up-coming news in your niche
    5. Find out what are the most asked questions in your support department and create Q&A content based on them.
    6. Use this tool to content scrap Quora and put in a category name to find the top articles around the subjects you are writing about. Quora RSS importer
    7. Same as above but this time scraping RedditReddit Import XML Cookbook
    8. Scrap Google News, Bing News, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, Yahoo Answers, How Stuff works, Helium, Cracked, Savvysme and  Google Plus using this XML feed Import XML cookbooks and there is most of your research done :)
    9. Then Finally headline hacks using Jon Morrow’s templates from Boost Blog Traffic These are awesome for coming up with headlines for articles

Regards

Josh

Data Geek by Night, basketball fanatic by day :)

Possible Neil Patel Fanboy

Firstly @Neil I love that tool as well

It is awesome and my team love it as well.

For @Fran here is a brain dump of how my team generate ideas and get research for that content.

1. Have a company Idea board where people share ideas on what would be cool to have content pieces on
    2. Go to Google Analytics (Traffic Sources > Search > Organic) and Create an advanced segment called Create Blog + Add to FAQ (this segment looks at all search terms used on your website). This will give you a range of questions that people have come to the website from searching in google using a advanced regex filter in google analytics
    3. Find an influence in your market place and interview them about topics that your crowd is interested about
    4. Report on recent and up-coming news in your niche
    5. Find out what are the most asked questions in your support department and create Q&A content based on them.
    6. Use this tool to content scrap Quora and put in a category name to find the top articles around the subjects you are writing about. Quora RSS importer
    7. Same as above but this time scraping RedditReddit Import XML Cookbook
    8. Scrap Google News, Bing News, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, Yahoo Answers, How Stuff works, Helium, Cracked, Savvysme and  Google Plus using this XML feed Import XML cookbooks and there is most of your research done :)
    9. Then Finally headline hacks using Jon Morrow’s templates from Boost Blog Traffic These are awesome for coming up with headlines for articles

Regards

Josh

Data Geek by Night, basketball fanatic by day :)

Possible Neil Patel Fanboy

Sep 04, 2013

Here’s a bunch of tools that I have used for ideation, brainstorming and research. Most of these are free or low cost.

• BottlenoseIf you’re looking for ideas based around current topics, this is a great tool to use and a good alternative to the much more popular Google Trends.
    • The Idea Swap - lets you take ideas that may not be useful to you and exchange them for ideas from other people.
    • Cognition - awesome for digging deep and reverse engineering ideas. You can get a good idea of what academics are doing and then figure out how to apply that to your target audience. Their Wikipedia engine alone will help you find stuff that you probably never thought of.
    • Omgili - is a vertical search engine that focuses on “many to many” user-generated content platforms, such as forums, discussion groups, answer boards, and others.

• Scrivener - puts everything you need for structuring, writing, and editing long documents at your fingertips. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, the focus of Scrivener is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.

• Dedoose.com - a cross-platform app for analyzing text, video, and spreadsheet data (analyzing qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research).

• Zanran - a search engine for finding data and statistics.

• Instagrok - allows you to research a topic with an interactive and also customize it

There are a ton of other ones but this should be a good start. BTW, I am a tools junkie :)

Learn more about me here

Here’s a bunch of tools that I have used for ideation, brainstorming and research. Most of these are free or low cost.

• BottlenoseIf you’re looking for ideas based around current topics, this is a great tool to use and a good alternative to the much more popular Google Trends.
    • The Idea Swap - lets you take ideas that may not be useful to you and exchange them for ideas from other people.
    • Cognition - awesome for digging deep and reverse engineering ideas. You can get a good idea of what academics are doing and then figure out how to apply that to your target audience. Their Wikipedia engine alone will help you find stuff that you probably never thought of.
    • Omgili - is a vertical search engine that focuses on “many to many” user-generated content platforms, such as forums, discussion groups, answer boards, and others.

• Scrivener - puts everything you need for structuring, writing, and editing long documents at your fingertips. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, the focus of Scrivener is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.

• Dedoose.com - a cross-platform app for analyzing text, video, and spreadsheet data (analyzing qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research).

• Instagrok - allows you to research a topic with an interactive and also customize it

There are a ton of other ones but this should be a good start. BTW, I am a tools junkie :)

Learn more about me here

Sep 04, 2013

Thanks for the wealth of resources for web content! This will keep me busy!

Thanks for the wealth of resources for web content! This will keep me busy!

Sep 04, 2013

Wow. Great question and fantastic responses.  A lot here that I’d never heard of! Thanks!

Annie McFadden
    Karaoke Queen

Wow. Great question and fantastic responses.  A lot here that I’d never heard of! Thanks!

Annie McFadden
    Karaoke Queen

Sep 04, 2013

Some content discovery tools that I use:

Google Alerts: All time favourite. I set email alerts for keywords and phrases that I am working with.

Google Trends – Top Charts: What’s hot now.

Talkwalker Alerts: an alternative to Google Alerts

Some content discovery tools that I use:

Google Alerts: All time favourite. I set email alerts for keywords and phrases that I am working with.

Google Trends – Top Charts: What’s hot now.

Talkwalker Alerts: an alternative to Google Alerts

Sep 04, 2013

chris-winfield said:Here’s a bunch of tools that I have used for ideation, brainstorming and research. Most of these are free or low cost.

• BottlenoseIf you’re looking for ideas based around current topics, this is a great tool to use and a good

I love bottlenose, unfortunately they’re out of Beta and only taking enterprise level clients :-(

That said, Open Topic is a really good alternative. As is prismatic.

What I do for content ideas is a little more simplistic, and straight forward. First. I only participate in a select amount of forums and groups at a given time & track those groups on a single spreadsheet.

Next, when I curate content into those groups, I track who interacts with that content by sharing, RT, Liking, Commenting +1ing, etc.

Doing this allows me to have a very specific view of what real people in real communities are looking for. By keeping track of who’s interacted with stuff in the past, it also gives me a group of people I can send new content out to first, and to write content specifically for those people.

It’s amazing how personalizing content for individuals and groups can make a huge difference.

Think of all the blog fodder Neil has now by opening up this forum.

Matthew Woodward did a very similar (albeit simpler version) of the strategy I’m talking about, and built a top one 100 blog in a year without doing any seo. Facinating read if you get the time.

Actively using the Social Filter Marketing framework, and loving every new connection I make.

chris-winfield said:Here’s a bunch of tools that I have used for ideation, brainstorming and research. Most of these are free or low cost.

• BottlenoseIf you’re looking for ideas based around current topics, this is a great tool to use and a good

I love bottlenose, unfortunately they’re out of Beta and only taking enterprise level clients :-(

That said, Open Topic is a really good alternative. As is prismatic.

What I do for content ideas is a little more simplistic, and straight forward. First. I only participate in a select amount of forums and groups at a given time & track those groups on a single spreadsheet.

Next, when I curate content into those groups, I track who interacts with that content by sharing, RT, Liking, Commenting +1ing, etc.

Doing this allows me to have a very specific view of what real people in real communities are looking for. By keeping track of who’s interacted with stuff in the past, it also gives me a group of people I can send new content out to first, and to write content specifically for those people.

It’s amazing how personalizing content for individuals and groups can make a huge difference.

Think of all the blog fodder Neil has now by opening up this forum.

Matthew Woodward did a very similar (albeit simpler version) of the strategy I’m talking about, and built a top one 100 blog in a year without doing any seo. Facinating read if you get the time.

Actively using the Social Filter Marketing framework, and loving every new connection I make.

Sep 05, 2013

Email – what are your customers telling you their biggest problems are? I’m not sure if we are allowed to link out to our own content but I recorded a podcast with James Schramko on this which was great. He’s a machine. All he does is create content that his customers tell him about.

WP Curve – 24 / 7 unlimited small WordPress fixes for $69

Email – what are your customers telling you their biggest problems are? I’m not sure if we are allowed to link out to our own content but I recorded a podcast with James Schramko on this which was great. He’s a machine. All he does is create content that his customers tell him about.

WP Curve – 24 / 7 unlimited small WordPress fixes for $69

Sep 05, 2013

Wow  @Joshua and @Chris great resources, I have a lot to check out thanks

Helping you deliver your message in a clear, action-orientated and visually appealing way.
    Blaze Web Studio

Wow  @Joshua and @Chris great resources, I have a lot to check out thanks

Helping you deliver your message in a clear, action-orientated and visually appealing way.
    Blaze Web Studio

Sep 05, 2013

I am glad you mentioned all these have sent it too the ninjas to dissolve :)

I am glad you mentioned all these have sent it too the ninjas to dissolve :)

Sep 05, 2013

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing these awesome tools. To be frank, this is the first time, Im hearing the names of these tools and checking it out.

You have a great list which will be useful for many people.

Shathyan Raja, I blog at Marketizze and you can connect with me on Facebook. My Google+ name is .Shathyan

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing these awesome tools. To be frank, this is the first time, Im hearing the names of these tools and checking it out.

You have a great list which will be useful for many people.

Shathyan Raja, I blog at Marketizze and you can connect with me on Facebook. My Google+ name is .Shathyan

Sep 07, 2013

Great list of stuff!

One thing I’d like to find is a replacement for Google alerts. Something that is a bit faster and maybe more customizable but that still sends out emails to notify you. Any ideas on that?

Let me build you a free website
    Or read my blog
    Find me on Twitter or Google+ and Facebook

Great list of stuff!

One thing I’d like to find is a replacement for Google alerts. Something that is a bit faster and maybe more customizable but that still sends out emails to notify you. Any ideas on that?

Let me build you a free website
    Or read my blog
    Find me on Twitter or Google+ and Facebook

Sep 07, 2013

I came across this really neat infographic from copyblogger that shares some valuable suggestions on how to create compelling content.

Here is the URL: http://www.copyblogger.com/create-content-infographic/

I came across this really neat infographic from copyblogger that shares some valuable suggestions on how to create compelling content.

Here is the URL: http://www.copyblogger.com/create-content-infographic/

Sep 07, 2013

I found the following pretty useful to find content ideas

- Swayy (www.swayy.co)

- Percolate (http://percolate.com/)

- Google News/alerts for specific keywords

- RSS feeds relevant to the market you are working on

Looking for a solution to your Content Marketing needs?
    Try out Shareist for social media, content publishing & newsletters.
    Email me for more info.

I found the following pretty useful to find content ideas

- Swayy (www.swayy.co)

- Percolate (http://percolate.com/)

- Google News/alerts for specific keywords

- RSS feeds relevant to the market you are working on

Looking for a solution to your Content Marketing needs?
    Try out Shareist for social media, content publishing & newsletters.
    Email me for more info.

Sep 08, 2013

admin said:I also use this tool to come up with content ideas: http://www.portent.com/tools/title-maker/

Great Tool for content idea @Neil Thank,

admin said:I also use this tool to come up with content ideas: http://www.portent.com/tools/title-maker/

Great Tool for content idea @Neil Thank,

Sep 10, 2013

oscar-gonzalez said:Great list of stuff!

Have you tried out Mention?

Learn more about me here

oscar-gonzalez said:Great list of stuff!

Have you tried out Mention?

Learn more about me here

Sep 11, 2013

http://curationsoft.com/ - great for pulling in keyword related content from several different sources – PAID

http://www.talkwalker.com/alerts - an alternative to the soon to expire Google alerts – FREE

http://www.netvibes.com/en - Replacement for google desktop, allows you to create huge dashboards related to keywords and pull content from loads of different sources and feeds.

http://curationsoft.com/ - great for pulling in keyword related content from several different sources – PAID

http://www.talkwalker.com/alerts - an alternative to the soon to expire Google alerts – FREE

http://www.netvibes.com/en - Replacement for google desktop, allows you to create huge dashboards related to keywords and pull content from loads of different sources and feeds.

Viewing 23 posts 1 2