Whining is something that we all do, but the question is why? When you whine nothing really happens other than you sounding like a baby. And if you sound like a baby then you are probably going to be treated like one. But seriously, why do people whine?
Over the last few weeks I have heard dozens of people whine and the most common one was:
Why doesn’t anyone fund my business idea? Trixie and Biff got venture capital funding and my idea is much better than theirs!
When you whine your problems don’t get solved because you are spending all your time whining instead of fixing. So the next time you are upset and are about to whine, do the following:
- Take all the IF’s and BUTs out of your head. It doesn’t matter if Trixie or Biff had a better outcome; this is you we are talking about and not them.
- Think about the situation and why it happened the way it did.
- If another party was involved, think about the situation from their perspective. If another party was not involved, think about the situation from a neutral perspective (I know this is hard, but you can do it).
- List out all the possible ways you can potentially change the situation to be favorable for you.
- Try and fix the situation using one of the ways you listed out. If things go your way, that’s great. If things don’t go your way or if the situation can’t be changed, then learn from it and move on.
Life is not perfect and we all whine about things (even me), but you’re more likely to succeed if you think about things from a logical perspective instead of an emotional whiny perspective.
PS: Hopefully it didn’t sound like I was whining about people whining.